Finally! The eBook you've been waiting for!

Cheap Advice On Live Sound
48 Tips To Make Your Band Sound Better
(pdf format)

This is the real deal. You get 48 full-length articles from the Cheap Advice Guy covering all aspects of setting up and running a live sound system for a band.

Click here for more information or to download a copy!

Also available in Kindle and Nook editions.

Mixing Vocals: How Much Reverb?

9:28 am Home Recording

Among the many decisions we face when mixing a typical song, one of the most important is what effects, if any, we are going to add to the recorded tracks. In particular, the addition of artificial reverb to one or more of the vocal parts can have a big impact on how that vocal sounds in the final mix. In this article, I will use one of my own songs to demonstrate the result of adding reverb to lead and/or backup vocals.

Let me start with some general advice about using reverb. To begin with, I recommend that you record the vocals “dry,” with no reverb, to give yourself maximum flexibility at mixing time. You don’t want to get locked in to a reverb setting that sounded great during recording but now doesn’t “go” with the rest of the mix. (Note that I would put plenty of reverb on the vocal monitor signal you send to the artist - it’s a real confidence builder. Just don’t record the reverb.)

My second tip is to make your reverb adjustments for individual vocals and instruments while listening to the full mix. When setting reverb, it is always tempting to “solo” the vocal or instrument in question (i.e. listen to it by itself) to see how the reverb sounds. The fact is, it doesn’t matter how it sounds with the instrument alone, since that’s not the way it will be heard! Every reverb adjustment, whether to level, duration, or color, should be made in the context of the full mix. (After you get it perfect, then listen to each source alone if you want, but I’m warning you. Some will sound “wrong.” Don’t you go “fixing” them!)

Why Add Reverb?

One result of adding reverb to a vocal track is to give the singer’s voice a sense of “place,” of coming from somewhere. A completely dry vocal can sound sort of disembodied, even artificial, especially in a mix with reverb on other elements. We are accustomed to hearing some kind of natural reverb when people sing, whether it’s in a double-wide or at Carnegie Hall. When there’s no reverb at all, we can’t really tell where the singer is!

A second result of adding reverb is to a vocal to push that part “back” in the mix. If we were sitting in the balcony at Carnegie Hall with one singer fairly close in front of us and another way down on the stage, the one onstage would have much more natural reverb in proportion to direct sound than the one nearby. Even with eyes closed we could judge which was further “back,” simply by the amount of reverb. It works the same way in your mix. More reverb makes the sound source seem farther away.

One application of this second result is that backup vocals are often given more reverb than a lead vocal in order to position the backup singers “behind” the lead singer on the stereo stage.

Setting an Example

I will use several alternate mixes of my song “Goodbye Angel” (mp3, chords, lyrics) to demonstrate the effect of adding reverb to the vocals. I chose this song because (a) it has lead and backup vocals through much of it, and (b) it is only one minute long. (This is the same song I used in my article Recording and Mixing Backup Vocals, for similar reasons.)

First, here is a completely dry mix with no reverb on anything (mp3). (Enable popups for this site if the mp3 players do not appear, or just click the mp3 links to listen.)

OK, now here is the exact same mix with the lead vocals still dry but with a fairly long-duration reverb on the backup vocals (mp3).

Notice how this pushes the backup vocals “back” in the mix. Now here is another mix, this one with the backup vocals left dry but with a good dose of reverb on the lead vocal (mp3).

Different, eh? Since the lead vocal is louder, the “sense of place” effect dominates the “push back” effect, at least for me. The lead vocal still seems to be in front. You will notice that reverb tends to make a lead vocalist sound “larger than life,” which is why it is so often (over-)used on singers that are in fact rather smaller than life, talent-wise.

You can hear the final mix I came up with for “Goodbye Angel” below. I ended up using reverb on both the lead and backup vocals, as well as on some of the backing instruments.

Goodbye Angel (Bendig) (mp3, chords, lyrics)
Mark Bendig: all parts

Tags: , -->
6 Responses
  1. Cheryl :

Date: October 15, 2008 @ 1:01 pm

Your site is amazing — chocked with great advice. My question is: at a live performance, what kind of portable reverb box can I use for my vocals. I don’t need all the EFX and pre-sets used by rock bands. I’m a jazz singer. Fortunately, most of my gigs I don’t have to bring in P.A. Occasionally, it does happen. When it does, I have a Fender 1270P. It’s small, but does the job. It does NOT have any reverb — hence, that ‘DRY’ sound you mentioned in your article. Is there a small portable plug-in reverb box available which can add that extra little presence to my vocals? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :-) CC

2. Dusty :

Date: October 30, 2008 @ 3:13 am

When I play gigs live with my own equipment I have on board effects processors in my mixer that have great reverbs for my vocals. However, when I’m gigging out at a venue that has house sound, I can never get the sound engineers at the board to give me the type and amount of reverb I feel my voice needs. Always too dry. So I bought a TC Helicon Voice Tone Create Pedal. It’s AWESOME! It’s a very simple pedal to use in adding reverb or delay to your vocals on stage. Now my live vocals are no longer compromised by sub par house equipment or an inept or uncooperative club sound engineer. Check it out. Hope this helps…

dusty ~

3. wayne :

Date: January 19, 2009 @ 9:26 pm

I’m just getting started and singing live.I have a desktop pc that I load my music onto.That goes into my amp and then into my speakers. Will an echo pedal work to echo my voice or is there another type (inexpensive) that I should get? Thanx

4. Swell :

Date: June 15, 2011 @ 4:50 am

This is an awesome site for us!

Just wanna ask you something, how do you EQ your background vocals to make it sound so warm and not interfering with the lead vocals?

Thanks!

5. fjqfdjlg :

Date: June 19, 2011 @ 8:58 am

For every property owner you can get, a wonderful home along with a lovely kitchen counter is a surface encounters dream. Effectively, as you previously cognizant of, any kitchen is certainly widely known as the heart to a house hold. Sure, it’s spot all the family people interact with and has now to remain saved surface encounters complaints clean and even interesting. Specially, individuals require special treatment on their living rooms. Granitic kitchen counter is actually a wish for every individual since it may be known or strength, superior level of quality in addition to category. Nicely, wishing for a very good granitic counter is certainly simply produced, but so that it is a fact appears to be tough for most out there surface encounters mi given it is without a doubt high priced on the whole. Perfectly, granitic is actually a costly product and also you can’t find them designed for low-cost price tag. Maintaining this particular on your mind, you’ll be able to produce that selecting cost effective corian kitchen countertops isn’t really an easy task. On the other hand, you are encouraged to consider which often is among the most effectively respected services to choose from and you may in no way become upset.
    Without a doubt, you were discussing regarding locating granitic design kitchen counter top a great affordable amount. Nicely, even as we have stated earlier, you’d probably realize it’s hard considering variances granitic. Yet, it needs to be additional that it is probably not very unlikely mainly because you’ll find strategies to area a inexpensive still high quality corian design kitchen counter top. Many you have to achieve is to relocate on course. Our company is listed here to choose from every one of the out there help in this kind of make a difference. It is very imperative that you match the actual regulations of your spending plan anytime you want cost effective newl installed kitchen countertops. Well, let’s look at the actual solutions to you can keep them within reasonable range of prices.
    House depot merchants will be the initial site we would like that will propose surface encounters macomb mi for you to anybody exactly who is looking to get spotting these folks in cost effective rates. It’s saddening that you choose to wouldn’t purchase them affordable generally sites as well as dwelling depots this also make a difference in such a case. Whenever dwelling depots achieve this? Nicely, these people mainly sell this old share and also this helps these phones put up for sale this for the lower price. Sure, everyone heard it best, merely because sell the particular older stock it’s never that big a major issue so they can put up for sale it on an inexpensive price.

6. Melchizedek Tornu :

Date: June 2, 2012 @ 7:06 pm

please i’ve been trying to apply reverb on lead vocals and back up vocals but i can’t get the correct setting,can you help me with the settings?thanks.